Thursday, September 23, 2010

Single Parenting...




Today is one of those afternoons when I wish a camera crew had been following us #1 to enlighten any who do not understand why some moms may seem a little stressed at times, and #2 purely for the humor in watching it all unravel. I picked the boys up from school today packed and ready to take them to the pool. We had our swimsuits, beach towel, swim diaper, etc and we were ready to go. I took the boys into the ladies locker room to change us all. This would be the time to point out that I am completely disgusted by any and all pool locker rooms. The humidity is comparable to a sauna and the floors literally make me gag just thinking about them. SO this is not my favorite activity, but I was "taking one for the team" as we say in our house. Changed us all and headed out to the pool. We were swimming no more than 5 minutes when Beau, who is 21 months and attempting to potty train himself, decides to announce (loudly) that his "poo poo is coming". Announce it = shouts it repeatedly. I confirm that he has to go potty, get a "yes" response, jump out of the pool, slip on my shoes and his, grab Bennett, and we all hurry off to the restroom....all while trying to explain to Bennett why he has to come too. Get to the restroom, Beau has to strip off completely (again gag in the locker room), he tee tees and that's it. Great, except that he's convinced his "poo poo is coming"....but not so convinced that he needs to stay on the potty. So we're in limbo. He refuses to put his swimsuit back on, but also refuses to stay on the potty. Have you ever tried reasoning with a 21 month old? It's not pleasant and next to impossible. And throw in a 3 year old who just wants to swim. Complete shenanigans. I conceded and walked out of that locker room with one naked toddler and no pride, BUT two happy boys. What are you gonna do, right? Again, not so sure that we're the best ambassadors for the american family, but we survived and as you can see at the end of the day, we all still like each other.





P.S. The poo poo did eventually come about an hour later...in his diaper....in our backyard.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Oh - I've had days like this! Completely feel your pain - what can you do??? I'm sure you handled it all a lot better than I would have! :)